Thursday, December 30, 2010

Question - Drip Coffee in Europe/Israel

"I like drinking normal drip coffee, which you can't seem to get in the standard Israeli coffee joint. I've tried espresso since it's the only thing that seems cheap and strong, but I don't really like it."
I agree with you about the appeal of drip coffee- it's something you can nurse, like beer - not too strong, and you can keep it going for a while. But drip is really not popular in Europe/Israel, which is a shame. In Europe, the Americano is the most similar to drip coffee. It's a shot of espresso topped up with hot water, and it tastes similar, but not nearly as good -which makes sense, since it's the European take on the quintessential American drink.

You can usually order filter coffee in some form or another, but unfortunately none of these are quite as good as a freshly-brewed cup of drip (though that doesn't sound appetizing). I'm talking about French Presses and the single-serve Rombouts filters that they put on top of your cup. The issue with the French Press is that, like the old percolator, the coffee continues to steep unless you pour it right away.

You know what else we're missing here? Coffee Bars.



In Italian coffee shops, you don't sit and consume espresso (well you can, but it costs more). You get an espresso while standing at the bar - and if the place isn't too packed, you can small talk with the barista as well. It's hard to describe the appeal, but it's there.

Subscribe to my blog using the box on the right! Just add your e-mail address, and you'll be notified of new posts.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I don't think Americano's are for me, either. I've tried them and adding hot water to an espresso doesn't improve its flavor much.

    I guess Israel just doesn't have a go-to quality, cheap, drinkable coffee. Either it's espresso, or espresso combined with lots of milk and sold for 10+ shek.

    For now I'll stick to my thermos of instant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should take your food science degree and start an American coffee chain! with donuts.

    ReplyDelete