Thursday, December 24, 2009

Irish Cream


Just when you thought that coffee couldn't get more therapeutic, this creamy liqueur is really really fine. Irish Cream is a friend to any cup of coffee, but it also rolls alone as a digestif. Drink it on its own (chilled), over ice, over crushed ice, or in your morning coffee (for those who need a little buzz to start their day). Note how sexy it looks in the above picture. (Please take a moment.)

I've long wondered how Irish Cream was made - and the only way to truly know something is by doing it yourself. I discovered that it is simply Irish whiskey and cream, with other flavours (almond, vanilla, coffee, chocolate). It took me about 1 morning class period to make, including multiple trips to the supermarket for things I forgot to buy the first time. Careful making it in the morning, however, because you'll probably want to try it and Happy Hour will still be hours away.



Note that Irish Coffee is not the same thing as Irish cream. Irish Coffee (also a fine drink, yet essentially a spiked cup of coffee) is made by mixing sugar and 3 Tbsp. Irish Whiskey with black coffee. Heavy whipping cream is then added by pouring it over the convex side of a spoon, causing it to sit nicely on top of the coffee. (The upturned spoon effect is also used in the Latte Macchiato, however there the espresso is poured over the frothed milk, and not vice versa. More on that later.)

I used Scots Earl whiskey in this Irish Cream, which I admit is Scottish and not Irish, but to me it tasted fine. I'm clearly not a whiskey connoisseur. It's not worth using expensive whiskey for the recipe, because cheap whiskey does a fine job.



Here's the recipe:

- 1 Cup Whiskey

- 1 Cup Heavy Cream

- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

- 3/4 - 1 tsp Almond Extract

- 14 Oz. Sweetened Condensed Milk (1 14 oz. Can, or 2 150 gr. Tubes depending on where you live)

- 4 eggs

- 2 Tbsp. Chocolate Syrup

Blend it all together until smooth. Don't expect a creamy texture until it refrigerates for a bit, which is a mistake I made - I added another cup of cream which skewed all the proportions. This apparently lasts a month in the fridge, but my batch is almost completely finished - and I made it yesterday. I know this makes me sound like a drunk, but we had a dinner party last night, so the Irish Cream didn't stand a chance..

No comments:

Post a Comment